Monday, January 24, 2011

Wandering the '72 Olympic Grounds

Finishing up some loose end posts from last week that were waiting for me to find a way to get photos first...

Four of Spitz's gold medals recorded
As I mentioned, on Tuesday I made my way up to the Munich Olympic Park, built for the '72 Games.  Most of you know these games as the one where Palestinian terrorists killed 11 members of the Israeli team, and Mark Spitz won a then-record 7 gold medals in swimming, which was just surpassed by Michael Phelps in 2008.  A wall in the main plaza lists the names of all the '72 winners.

The park apparently is still used quite a bit by locals, which makes sense since it's a beautiful area to walk, and people were using at least the ice facilities to practice.  I went up to the top of the tower to get a better view.  Here are the stadium and the main cycling and swimming facilities (I believe).  The stadium is where I met Timor and Parhus (who now have a photo up!  Go check it out.).


Just to the right, across the highway, is the Olympic Village where the assassinations took place.  A memorial hits you as soon as you walk across the bridge.  Here's part of it, with the one German who died mixed in with the Hebrew lettering.


Just beyond that is the Village itself, which some of you will recognize from the footage of where the hostages were being held.


In all, going there on a quiet day was fitting.

1 comment:

  1. I was ten and remember that tragedy very well. It was my introduction to the Israel/Palestinian conflict. It is 2011 and death continues to be the main form of communication.

    ReplyDelete